Out of State Criminal Defense – Michigan

You’ve been accused of a crime. Criminal defense is serious business, and never moreso than when the accused is being tried outside of his or her home state. Being arrested and accused of a crime is one of the most stressful things that can happen to a person. When that accusation is coming from a state where you don’t even live, it can be absolutely terrifying. The most important thing to remember in a situation like this is that you need to take a breath and respond appropriately.

You can’t hide from this. Your first thought may be that Michigan can’t reach you. While it is true that Michigan cannot send police officers into another state to make an arrest, those officers can arrest you any time you are present within the state. Even if you never return to Michigan, a judge in Michigan can issue a warrant for your arrest. As a result, if you ever end up having a run in with the police in your home state, you may find yoRourself on your way back to Michigan anyway. Even if you are never actually picked up by the police in your home state, having warrants out for your arrest can interfere with things like getting a job and even renewing your driver’s license. The point is, if you are ever wanted for a crime, trying to hide from it will never be the best plan in the long run.

You need to take action. If you ever find yourself accused of a crime in the state of Michigan, it is imperative that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in Michigan right away. The longer it takes for you to have the matter resolved, the worse the outcome is likely to be. On the other hand, if you set out to get the matter resolved early, you can minimize the harm while simultaneously putting yourself in the best position to get a favorable outcome. Depending on the situation, a skilled attorney may even be able to get the process started without you having to make an initial appearance.

You need a Michigan attorney. It would be dishonest to say a criminal charge won’t have any effect on your life. Even under the best circumstances, it won’t be a pretty experience. However, if you get it handled quickly, by a skilled attorney, the disruption can be kept to a minimum. Every case is different, but your attorney may be able to work out an arrangement where you get something like non-reporting probation, or a term of probation that can be served in your home state.